Most commercial aircraft, for example, the mammoth Airbus A380, which can seat up to 868 passengers, or the somewhat smaller Boeing 747, have blunt noses. On the other hand, several models of passenger airliners have sharp noses. And all military airplanes have pointed noses. So, what gives?
There are two types of planes: subsonic (meaning their speed is slower than the speed of sound) and supersonic (the ones that fly faster than you know what). And it turns out that the manufacturers decide on the shape of a plane’s nose depending on the speed at which it’s going to travel.
Other videos you might like:
Why Planes Don’t Fly Over the Pacific Ocean
Why Airplanes Are White
Why Lights at Plane Wings Are Different
What would happen if a supersonic plane had a rounded nose? 1:39
So why do spacecraft have blunt noses? 2:47
Planes without windows 4:00
Electric planes 4:26
Planes from carbon fiber 5:19
The Sky Whale 6:22
The V-shaped aircraft 7:50
#planes #future #brightside
Preview photo credit:
Concorde 1 94-9-5 kix: By spaceaero2 – Self-photographed, CC BY-SA 3.0 ,
Animation is created by Bright Side.
– Subsonic planes are equipped with a rounded nose. During the flight, it allows the air to move around the airplane more freely.
– When the air first meets the rounded nose of a subsonic airplane, it produces a shock wave.
– Just look at the famous Concorde plane, which stopped flying only in 2003. With its pointed nose, this supersonic passenger airliner could fly at a maximum speed of more than twice the speed of sound.
– The faster a plane flies after passing the sound barrier, the hotter it becomes. That’s why some of the fastest aircraft are made of titanium.
– In any case, there’s a chance that in several decades it won’t matter whether a plane has a pointed or a blunt nose, because aircraft might start to look totally different altogether.
– For example, according to one of the predictions, planes in the future might come without windows whatsoever!
– Air travel is likely to become much greener by 2050, thanks to commercial airplanes becoming fully electric.
– Also, in several decades, planes might lose their tails!
– At some point, you might witness aluminum planes turning into carbon fiber ones!
– There might also be some unusual looking and oddly shaped aircraft. For example, the airplanes of the future might get a box wing design.
– Another cool aircraft project is called the Sky Whale; this plane may easily become the largest passenger airliner ever.
– How do you feel about the “Flying V” aircraft? Such an unusual shape is supposed to make the plane super energy efficient! Also, the V-shaped aircraft would be able to travel ultra-long-haul distances.
Music by Epidemic Sound
Subscribe to Bright Side :
Our Social Media:
5-Minute Crafts Youtube:
Stock materials (photos, footages and other):
For more videos and articles visit: